Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Ask divorce lawyer about co-ownership of property

Question: I have been married for 25 years and have three children. My name is not on the deed to our $600,000 home. If I divorce my husband, am I entitled to half of the assets even though the house isn't in my name? We live in Massachusetts. I am sick over this and don't have money for a lawyer.
Answer: You may be entitled to half the value of the house, but it will depend on the circumstances.
First, I'm curious to know why your name isn't on the deed after all this time. But even if your name isn't on the deed, if the house is a marital asset (bought after you were married), and particularly if you have contributed sweat equity, if not money, to the purchase and maintenance of the property, then you may have a good case to make for equal ownership whether or not you are listed on the property...

To read the remainder of this article, click here

For more information, contact the Law Offices of Renee M. Marcelle at (415) 456-4444, or online at www.familylawmarin.com

No comments: