Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Child Support and College Support

Do you, as a divorced parent, have a legal duty to pay for your child's college education? The answer is yes, no, or maybe depending upon the state in which you are divorced.
You could be ordered to pay for all or a portion of your child's college education if your divorce state has a law giving a court the power to award college support, also called post-secondary or post-minority support. College support may be in addition to child support, a part of child support, or a separate payment after regular child support ends. It can be used to pay for an education at a college, university, vocational school, or other type of post-secondary educational institution.
A court having the power to order college support may consider several factors when ordering you to pay for your child's college education...

To read the remainder of this article, click here

For more information, contact the Law Offices of Renee M. Marcelle at (415) 456-4444, or online at

No comments: